|Job Title||Associate Accountant|
|Working Title||Associate Accountant|
|Patient Care Job Code?||No|
|Standard Hours per Week||40|
|Full Time or Part Time?||Full Time|
|Work Schedule Summary||8am – 5pm
|Department||00810 - Scient Comp & Imag Instit-Oper|
|City||Salt Lake City, UT|
|Type of Recruitment||External Posting|
|Pay Rate Range||12.02 to 21.63|
NOTE: May close at anytime.
|Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime.
|Job Summary||Performs a variety of bookkeeping activities including, but not limited to, reconciliation of accounts, review and preparation of travel reimbursements, purchasing card reconciliation and preparation of purchasing forms for the Scientific Computing and Imaging Institute (SCI Institute).
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
1. Reviews and assists with preparation of travel reimbursements. Reimbursements should be examined for accuracy and to make sure amounts reimbursed are in accordance with University travel policies.
2. Ensures transactions are posted correctly to accounts and reviews transactions for accuracy and obtains required back-up documentation. This requires staying abreast of University policies and procedures.
3. Reviews and reconciles University management reports and maintains a record of PI approvals as verified by the EOR (Evidence of Review) system.
4. Reviews and reconciles University procurement card statements.
5. Responds to a variety of accounting-related questions, such as inquiries from vendors on invoice status and from faculty questioning expenditures on their SCI Institute grant and activities.
6. Assists department staff with questions on payment or purchasing documents.
7. Prepares invoices and bills for the SCI Institute Computing Facility.
8. May maintain department inventory or prepare annual physical inventory.
This classification must insure that transactions are completed in accordance with established accounting and budget procedures.
This classification has the authority to provide clerical accounting/bookkeeping support to assist the department in achieving its overall accounting objectives. The incumbent completes clerical accounting/bookkeeping activities with periodic supervisory review. The incumbent’s work is reviewed for results and for conformance to policy.
|Minimum Qualifications||Four years of bookkeeping or accounting experience, and an understanding of basic accounting principles, mathematical and spreadsheet skills; and demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills required. Associate’s degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field is preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
|Preferences||University of Utah Peoplesoft experience is preferred
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
|Special Instructions Summary|
Posting Specific QuestionsRequired fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How many years of accounting/finance related work experience do you have?
- Less than 2 years
- 2 year or more, but less than 4 years
- 4 years or more, but less than 6 years
- 6 years or more, but less than 8 years
- 8 years or more
- * Indicate your level of experience in processing invoices, check requests and purchase orders; and posting payments, reconciling statements, and preparing accounting and financial reports:
Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- Addendum to the University of Utah - Veteran Only - Call 801.581.2169 after submission
- Appropriate discharge document (such as a DD-214 – Member Copy 4) – Veteran Only – Call 801.581.2169