|Job Title||Systems Engineer|
|Working Title||Systems Engineer|
|FLSA Code||Computer Employee|
|Patient Sensitive Job Code?||No|
|Standard Hours per Week||40|
|Full Time or Part Time?||Full Time|
|Work Schedule Summary|
|Department||00810 - Scient Comp & Imag Instit-Oper|
|City||Salt Lake City, UT|
|Type of Recruitment||External Posting|
|Pay Rate Range||47600 to 90400|
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
The candidate will provide support to different aspects of systems and systems software, including but not limited to implementation, deployment, maintenance, monitoring, performance analysis, and security. Will work under the director, collaborate with other team members, and be exposed to multiple platforms and IT disciplines. This position will provide support in building solutions to automate IT processes, including design, development, test, and deploying custom workflows and scripts within cloud infrastructure that can be used for integration, deployment, monitoring, and other IT tasks. Will routinely interact with people of diverse backgrounds, so excellent interpersonal and communication skills are necessary.
Skills and Competencies:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology or Engineering or related field or applicable professional certification and at least three years relevant technical and analytical experience.
• Experience in design, implementation and/or deployment of software systems, including databases, system software, and system administration.
• Coding experience with an understanding of IT automation (e.g., bash, Python, C/C++, Java, Ruby, Ansible, Chef, Jenkins, Terraform).
• Experience with cloud technologies (e.g., AWS and Openstack) and container and orchestration platforms (e.g., Docker, Singularity, Kubernetes).
• Knowledge of data management and processing frameworks (e.g., Apache Hadoop/Spark, Apache Kafka, Elasticsearch, etc.).
• Knowledge in continuous integration/delivery/configuration management.
• Proactive approach to IT, rather than reactive.
• Low to medium supervision needed, takes the initiative in monitoring and troubleshooting issues that arise.
• Communication and presentation skills to engage technical and non-technical audiences.
Personal Attributes Desired for the Position:
• Strong interpersonal abilities.
• Strong teamwork skills.
• Highly motivated to support research projects.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in area of specialty or equivalency and 2-4 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
|Special Instructions Summary|
The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in settings with students from diverse backgrounds and possess a strong commitment to improving access to higher education for historically underrepresented students.
Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or protected veteran’s status. The University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the education program or activity that it operates, as required by Title IX and 34 CFR part 106. The requirement not to discriminate in education programs or activities extends to admission and employment. Inquiries about the application of Title IX and its regulations may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, to the Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, or both.
To request a reasonable accommodation for a disability or if you or someone you know has experienced discrimination or sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, you may contact the Director/Title IX Coordinator in the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action:
Director/ Title IX Coordinator
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a related Bachelor's degree or equivalency? (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education)
- Cover Letter
- Appropriate discharge document (such as a DD-214 – Member Copy 4) – Veteran Only – Call 801.581.2169
- Addendum to the University of Utah - Veteran Only - Call 801.581.2169 after submission